File for Divorce

Having an attorney for any action in court is always recommended, including divorce proceedings. An individual can write their own divorce documents and represent themselves; however, it is not recommended.

All divorce filings take place in the office of the Chancery Clerk. Each individual filing for divorce must have a Civil Case Filing Form and the filing fee. This fee can be paid in cash or check.

If you file for divorce without your spouse’s knowledge, they will be notified once a summons is issued. You do not need your spouse’s consent to file for a divorce unless you file on the grounds of Irreconcilable Differences.